At the very least, with everything going on now, the collector car auction business is booming. RM Sotheby’s announced an extension of their global market leadership in collector car auctions in 2021, with $406,570,428 in total auction sales.
Blenheim, Ont., is the HQ, where the world-class restoration shop is located. RM Auto Restoration has added a complete machine shop making it possible for a car to be restored end-to-end, all in-house.
The year opened with a strong performance in Arizona, where their first live event of the year resulted in sales of over $35 million and a 90 per cent sell-through. RM Sotheby’s flagship auction in Monterey grossed $148,528,300 in total sales with 90 per cent of all lots sold. The Paul Andrews Estate Collection was highlighted by the 1962 Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato (pictured above), which sold for $9,520,000.
Sir Lewis Hamilton-driven car secures millions
The European events showcased the diversity of offerings our clients bring forth. The A Passion For Elegance sale in Liechtenstein featured a single-owner collection of important Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars that grossed CHF11.1 million, exceeding pre-sale estimates. RM Sotheby’s St. Moritz boutique event—the first of their auctions ever held in Switzerland—grossed CHF16.5 million, with eight lots that exceeded CHF1 million each.
RM Sotheby’s executed another collaboration sale with Formula 1, an auction to sell the race-winning 2010 McLaren MP4-25A, chassis no. 01, driven by Sir Lewis Hamilton. The car was auctioned at the 2021 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI BRITISH GRAND PRIX before a live audience of nearly 140,000 spectators immediately after running demonstration laps on the circuit. It secured £4,836,000, making it the most valuable McLaren Formula 1 car ever sold at auction and the fourth most valuable Formula 1 car ever sold publicly.
RM Sotheby’s Top 10 Sales of 2021
- 1962 Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato | Sold for $9,520,000 | Monterey
- 1962 Ferrari 268 SP by Fantuzzi | Sold for $7,705,000 | Monterey
- 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Competizione by Scaglietti | Sold for $7,705,000 | Monterey
- 1955 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta Competizione by Pinin Farina | Sold for $7,024,370 | The Guikas Collection
- 2010 McLaren-Mercedes MP4-25A Formula 1 | Sold for $6,528,470 | The Lewis Hamilton GP Winning McLaren
- 1955 Jaguar D-Type | Sold for $6,000,000 | Arizona
- 1958 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta ‘Tour de France’ by Scaglietti | Sold for $6,000,000 | Monterey
- 1929 Duesenberg Model J ‘Disappearing Top’ Torpedo by Murphy | Sold for $5,725,000 | Amelia Island
- 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet Series I by Pinin Farina | Sold for $5,014,470 | The Guikas Collection
- 1937 Bugatti Type 57SC Tourer by Corsica | Sold for $4,735,000 | Arizona